This is Motion

This is Motion
Nov 2009

Monday, February 15, 2010

who are you? why follow such a diffcult path?


I wish i could start this blog off with the statement "not a care in the world" and explain how awesome it is being involved in the music industry. To be honest though it's hard, You see as an independent artist you are solely responsible for booking and the shady in between of the music industry.




I had a meeting with a independent record label, Friday, my birthday. The president name was Simon Goldberg. His first question was "Who are you?", i calmly explained i was Chris, and i was a rapper. His response was" i know your name; i mean what is your image how can i sell you?" I was shocked, i know it's a business and he can't invest in an artist unless he knows for sure he will be reimbursed, but I guess i was shocked at how blunt and cold he was. I know an "image" will need to be created, however shouldn't we start off on a better note?



After the awkwardness had passed, I explained to him that my music is soulful, "what you got black B*tchs singing the hooks?" he said with a laugh. I responded," ahh no i just put a lot of heart in my music sir". "well i heard your stuff, i like it, but like i said who are you? How can i sell you? because boy let me tell you all that meaningful stuff will get you a one stop ticket to the underground, and that's not where you want to be." he stated. So i did my best to explain to him what it is i do " I'm a poet sir, i weave words around beats to express a peace of my heart to the person hearing it, Its not about anything else Sir"



He looked at me blankly and said " well this label is not for you, we are about money, i don't care if you sing old mc'f*cken Donald as long as it can sell. I se what you mean but i don't trust or believe that you can sell"



What was i to do? i got up and walked out, and never looked back.


Who am i? MC C.B.

And i RAP.

myspace.com/mccrybaby
click the picture at the top of the blog to visit the facebook page.







1 comment:

  1. This is a very good start. Going to the meeting is a terrific newsy entry for the blog. I think you should have stuck with that experience — what happened and your reactions.
    The part about 360 took over. Remember focus. You could mention it but quickly return to your meeting.
    Also, because of the subject of your blog and your voice, I think certain grammar rules can be dropped. But not all. You should come up with which you'll keep and which you'll discard and be consistent in your blog. Remember, in order to break a rule, you must know it. Let's discuss.

    ReplyDelete